Oracle on SUN --> Oracle on DEC Aplha + Digital Unix ?

From: Alan MCCulloch <amccullo_at_ccu1.auckland.ac.nz>
Date: 1998/03/19

Hi

[Quoted] We are currently running Oracle 7.2 on an ageing SUN Sparc2.

Because of a good hardware price, there is a proposal to upgrade to a DEC Alpha, Digital Unix, rather than the original SUN upgrade we intended.

Does anybody have any experience or views on this as a good or bad idea ?

There is some concern that we may be moving to a less popular UNIX, possibly less supported and with a doubtful future. There are also some learning curve issues, and the need to convert our SQL*Forms "legacy" apps to Developer 2k/Forms 4.5, whereas under a SUN upgrade we can run them as they are
(connectintg via SQL*Net).

(We are not planning to use Developer 2K /Forms 4.5
as our future client, so this would be a one off learning curve. We are into Delphi and Java/HTML)

Thanks for any advice / experience

Alan McCulloch Received on Thu Mar 19 1998 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message