Re: Naming Convention for Columns

From: Richard Yates <r.j.yates_at_open.ac.uk>
Date: 1998/03/17

Neil Warnock wrote:

> In article <ygewwe0eoqm.fsf_at_cariboulake.com>,
> Michael Leo <mleo_at_cariboulake.com> wrote:

> >Jeremy Rickard <Jeremy_at_SPAM.demon.co.uk> writes:

> >> In article <3505ad61.266543_at_read.news.global.net.uk>, Keith Boulton
> >> <boulkenospam_at_globalnet.co.uk> writes

> >> That's nothing! I worked for an international (US based) company which
> >> had one system with 4 character column names. These were abbreviations
> >> of the full attribute names - in Norwegian, naturally.

> >Hah!

> >I once worked for a company that re-used bits that fell out of the
> >ends of disconnected cables. If you got your weekly status
> >reports in late you were chosen to sort them into piles of '1's
> >and '0's.

> I'd fire anyone who pulled that kind of s**t working for me. I've got
> enough problems using alpha characters without having to worry about what
> table/column 01010100 00110011 00101110 01000011 00110100 00110111
> refers to.

[Quoted] Pshaw, you think that's something? I'd personally sack, set fire to, and jump up and down on the ashes of whilst swearing loud oaths anyone who created a database product with underlying file names such as aaaaaaab.t00 aaaaaaac.t00 aaaaaaad.t00 aaaaabaa.t00 and that is *just for starters*!

Ooh-err. Or something.

Richard.

--
My newsfeed is erratic :. post+e-mail to be sure I receive your msg.

The Open University is not responsible for content herein, which may
be incorrect and is used at reader's own risk.