Ingres ABF/RW to OpenROAD/Oracle

From: Matthew Jones <mpj_at_misd.lon.ac.uk>
Date: 1998/03/16

I wonder if someone could please help me.

We are converting an Ingres ABF/Vision and ReportWriter system to CA-OpenROAD (etc.) so that it is a) GUI, and b) can run against Oracle databases (as well as Ingres). I have a few questions!:-

  1. Is it possible to install the OpenROAD image runtime system on a Unix box which does not have a Windows type environment? We would like to do this to run an OpenROAD batch process which does not need such a GUI environment. (we have converted a batch ABF application to OpenROAD simply to make it Open - it would be even better if we could run ABF against Oracle!).
  2. Is it possible to run ReportWriter programs against an Oracle database? We have the OpenROAD Advanced Reporting Option but it is not clear whether it is fully Open or not.
  3. Does anyone have experience of running OpenROAD against Oracle which was originally written for non-Open Ingres (eg 6.4/05)? Any comments on this welcome.
  4. Does anyone have any experience of converting Ingres 'copy table' statements to the Oracle equivalent?

Thanks,

Matthew

| Matthew Jones | |
| Senior Analyst Programmer | MISD |
| MISD | University of London |
| | Mackenzie House |
| Tel.: 0171 692 1502 (direct) | Millman Mews |
| Email: mpj_at_misd.lon.ac.uk | London |
| Fax : 0171 692 1555 | WC1N 3EH |
| http://www.misd.lon.ac.uk/ | |