Re: Archaic Table Names. Frowned upon Synonyms

From: Louis Cohen <louiscoh_at_sprynet.com>
Date: 1998/03/14

It's impossible to be polite about this. This kind of naming serves no useful purpose and is a severe impediment for maintenance.

Ask them what the reason is for the cryptic names? What good does it do? It obvious makes the code much harder to debug and maintain, and there is NO offsetting benefit.

Regards

Louis Cohen

Adrian Hodson wrote in message +ADw-6ec7l0+ACQ-7bm+ACQ-1+AEA-peuplier.wanadoo.fr+AD4-...
+AD4-At the bank where I work a typical table name is called TPF47 or PFM16 and
+AD4-synonyms are frowned upon - they are said to make debugging of problems
more
+AD4-difficult+ACEAIQAhACEAIQAhACE-
+AD4-
+AD4-Reasoned argument has had no effect on the DB2 administrators that admin
+AD4-Oracle as a side line.
+AD4-
+AD4-Reaction please. (As much as possible - I want to be able to take in to
work
+AD4-a printout at least as long as my arm).
+AD4-
+AD4-Adrian Hodson.
+AD4-
+AD4-