Re: Archaic Table Names. Frowned upon Synonyms

From: Phouka <phouka_at_frii.com>
Date: 1998/03/14

Adrian Hodson wrote:

> At the bank where I work a typical table name is called TPF47 or PFM16 and
> synonyms are frowned upon - they are said to make debugging of problems more
> difficult!!!!!!!
> Reaction please. (As much as possible - I want to be able to take in to work
> a printout at least as long as my arm).

AAAAAAAAAAaaaaaaaaaah!

As a long-time dba and developer, this kind of bizzare naming conventions are actually a *detriment* to debugging code. TRM45 looks like TMR45, and you can't tell from the code what the table is supposed to contain, so the code is impossible to deal with.

I usually find this kind of tablenaming in places where the DBA or the (usually single) developer simply does not want anyone else to be able to know what is going on. It is impossible for anyone new to come in and understand the schema or code -- which equals job security to the person who maintains it.

Robin
phouka_at_frii.com Received on Sat Mar 14 1998 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message