Re: Designer 2000

From: Joe Strano <pdorsey.dulcian_at_worldnet.att.net>
Date: 1998/03/14

In addition to Peter's and My book mentioned on this thread there is another Designer 2000 Handbook by Anderson and Wendelkin. Where our book has a large amount devoted to methodology. the Wendelkin book is more of a reference manual. I always tell people to buy all three.

There is a new book out by Albert Lelushie (or something like that) that looks similar to the big basic books that Que sells. Probably a good basic book to have around.

I would disagree with the contention the Des2K should be avoided. It is a very powerful tool. HOWEVER, you need training and support. Or, your first project will be a failure.

Go to conferences, get involved in user groups, etc. No books can substitute for being able to call a friend and get some real world advice. As an author, I am frustrated with how little information you can put in a book. I mean that we wrote over 600 pages and I still feel like we just brushed the surface of everything that needs to be written.

Good luck to you, keep posting as you run into problems.

As an aside, there are NOT errors in generation of subtype code, nor reference table generation. But you DO need to well understand the tool to use it correctly.

Paul Dorsey
Dulcian, Inc.
www.dulcian.com

Msemakweli_at_Timamu.ke wrote in article <3506E3FC.502D_at_Timamu.ke>...