Re: Designer 2000

From: blak <blakpawn_at_netcomuk.co.uk>
Date: 1998/03/12

>I am preparing to design a database using Oracle 8 running on WIN NT.
>I have never used Oracle before but have experience with SYBASE and
>MS ACCESS. My problem is why books to use. You mentioned the two books
>by Billings et. al. and Dr. Dorsey & Koletzke. Do you have any other
>suggestions you can make?
Yeah, stay clear of Designer/2000!!!

Although I only evaluated Des/2000 for an assignment at uni. I found many flaws in its code generation and dealing with supertypes/subtypes. It also has problems with domains - implementing them as check constraints, which you will have to write triggers for. It also seems to have a problem with exclusivity. The Billings book gives you good examples of building small components with des/2000 but nothing too complex.

>I was also wondering, which kind of project did you work on, and which
>degree? Perhaps your experiences might be of great help for me. I have
>not yet started my project though I ought to have begun by now.

I'm in my final year studing for a degree in Computing. I don't know anything about SYBASE, and little experience with MS Access. I doubt if I could answer many of your questions, but this newsgroup has been of great help to me in the past Good Luck
Elaine C Received on Thu Mar 12 1998 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message