Re: Oracle DB Downsizing

From: Steve Phelan <stevep_at_XXnospamXX.toneline.demon.co.uk>
Date: 1998/03/10

Well, to be honest, your post doesn't make it clear what you actually want?..

I *think* what you are looking for is:

  1. Perform a full export of the database.
  2. Re-create the database (look at the CREATE DATABASE command). Make the datafiles the new sizes you require. Re-create the Oracle data dictionary.
  3. Perform a full import. Make sure the storage parameters don't pre-allocate large amounts of space, or you'll be back to square one (or the import will fail).

You can't really do all the above from a simple script. You need a DBA! :-) Sure, most of the 'creation' bits you can put in a script, but you'll still need to do a good bit of planning first. I'm not trying to put you off, but if these databases are production and important, you really want to be sure of what you are doing before you start (and you don't sound to sure to me - no offence). I'd hate to see you run a script that someone supplies you that screws things up entirely - you need knowledge, as well as scripts.

Let us have a bit more detail if you need it. (Oh, and for god's sake take a cold backup of everything before you start.)

Steve Phelan.