Spatial Data Option and Performance requirements

From: Volker Edelmann <ved_at_cww.de>
Date: 1998/03/08

We are planning to use the SDO package to implement a small GIS application. We have a simple table structure consisting of just 1 table which consists of 17 million rows.
The information stored are line-segments and associated attributes. The problem is that performance is critical. We have to extract about 1000 line-segments in less than 300 milliseconds. So, please anyone experienced in this field:
- is this performance-criterion realistic ? Can it be fullfilled when
database and application reside on different machines and communication is done via SQLNet.
- did you have similiar problems and how did you solve them ?