Pro*C connect problem.

From: Kirill Richine <kirill_at_cs.ualberta.ca>
Date: 1998/03/06

Hi!

We have Pro*C 2.03 and Oracle 7.1.3 running on AIX 3.2.

We have a simple program that acts as a server for Oracle pipe connections.
Most of the time it waits for the request through DBMS_PIPE. When the database shuts down, it goes into a sql_error function, which has a reconnection loop:

  EXEC SQL select 1 into :dummy from dual;   while (sqlca.sqlcode < 0)
    {

      EXEC SQL COMMIT WORK RELEASE;
      sleep (600);
      EXEC SQL CONNECT :uid;

    }

The problem is that on this particular operating system every time it goes through this loop, it creates three <defunct> processes and never cleans them up.

We try the same on AIX 4.1 and Oracle 7.1.6 and everything works fine.

Granting that this is a very specific question, could you give any ideas about this behavior?

Thanks.
k& Received on Fri Mar 06 1998 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message