Re: ODBC Drivers

From: <smith_at_ali.com.au>
Date: 1998/03/05

In article <34FEB33D.7FFA6237_at_gmap.leeds.ac.uk>,   timp_at_gmap.leeds.ac.uk (Tim Palmer) wrote:

> --------------D60E584C0F42244B093E6996
>
> We are currently running a Compaq server (Novell) and PC clients (W95).
> Does anyone have any experience of the relative merits of the available
> ODBC32 drivers for the above (when connecting to an Oracle 7.3.2
> server)? In particular, any known performance problems with the
> Intersolv drivers?
>
> Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Regards,
>
> Tim Palmer

Well it kind of depends on the client software. If you are using Microsoft's ADO then I would wholeheartedly recommend the free Microsoft driver. It gives pretty good performance and is fully featured (BLOBs work!). The Oracle supplied drivers aren't worth considering with ADO.

If your application is straight ODBC then the Oracle drivers are OK, though I'm not so sure of their support for RAW columns (Read Only I think).

I found the Intersolv driver to be sssslllllooooooowwwwww.