Please help: Oracle 7.1 JDBC connections : portmaper error/general connectivity errors

From: William Limratana <saganagush_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 1998/03/04

[Quoted] Hi, if anyone can help, I would greatly appreciate it.

I have been trying to make a simple java applet connect to an Oracle 7.1 database running on HP/UX. I tried first using Oracle's thin drivers. Their documentation said it only worked with 7.2 and up, but I wanted to try anyway. It didn't work. Also, I am running/writing this java applet from a Windows95 desktop on the same Lan as the Oracle HP/UX server.

Someone from this newsgroup was nice enough to give me the link to SCO's JDBC drivers for Oracle (as well as other databases). I got everything set up, but could not connect. I modified the code to explicitly connect to the database I wanted it to (so it wouldn't use the user interface to get connection options). I also address Universal Connect code for Netscape security overrides because I need this to work with Netscape.

This is the message I get:

  • SQLException caught ***

SQLState: 08001
Message: Unable to connect to data source: Cannot get port number from portmapper: server may not be running
Vendor: 0

I got this same message weather I used the applet or application version of the example connectivity program that was included.

I used:

 String url =
"jdbc:sqlr:172.0.0.1:Oracle;DBname=production;DBuser=dbo;DBauth=dbo; Application=example;DebugPCFile=vwodbc.txt;DebugPCAppend=0;DebugOptions=895"

for the connection string. (172.0.0.1 is not the real address I used, it was another machine, not the one I was running this java application/applet from.)

I tried using 172.0.0.1:1521 to explicitly designate the port, and I also used Port=1521, as an option to see if that might be the problem.

If anyone has any ideas what I might be doing wrong, please let me know. I would like to get database connectivity with only jdbc so I don't have to worry about users having ODBC or running another server for some middleware program.

  Thanks very much,

    William Limratana Received on Wed Mar 04 1998 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message