s f j a v a s t a r t - u p

From: o r p h e u s <jobs_at_orpheus.com>
Date: 1998/03/03

Orpheus is a software developer run alternative to search firms. You never have to deal with an annoying recruiter or sales person at orpheus. Below is a set of job descriptions for a hot young start up based in San Francisco.

If you meet the requirements..........and are not afraid of start up life, send you resume to jobs_at_orpheus.com, or fax to 510.653.1209.

Hot Start-up in San Francisco, CA is building a world-class software company. To achieve our goals, we are recruiting a team that will WIN. Join an organization that is dedicated to altering the landscape of the software industry. To build our next generation flagship product you will be working with 100% Java-based software, CORBA and IIOP infrastructure, agenting frameworks and neural network technologies. Given the core set of technologies that we are working with, we have dream jobs for developers that are willing to step up to the plate for a significant challenge.

We want people that share our culture, vision, energy, commitment, and the sheer ability to make it all fun. If you believe you are up for it and have relevant experience pushing a product out the door, then send your resume to jobs_at_orpheus.com.

Technical Positions

Senior Software Engineer
Java GUI Developer
Graphic Designer
Test Engineer

Senior Software Engineer

Responsibilities

You are an experienced individual who will participate in and lead the development of our distributed application. In tandem with the engineering team, you will build a multi-tiered system that utilizes CORBA to distribute services and processing. Participate/lead in the software life cycle from specification to coding of CORBA components and CORBA services. Strong hands-on technical experience with design and implementation of distributed systems required. Duties will include design and design-review, implementation, and project management.

Requirements

5+ years of software development, of which at least 1 year, was developing framework/foundation components and/or 1 year developing CORBA components
1+ year experience with Java, 1.1 experience preferred Knowledge of OMG CORBA services and standardization process Experience developing client/server and multi-tiered solutions Documentation skills necessary to assist in the creation and maintenance of technical specifications, functional designs, test scripts, and user-training manuals as needed
Strong working knowledge of 32 bit OS, especially Windows/NT and networking aspects is essential
Knowledge of SUN/Solaris and other Unix OS a plus Strong team leadership and motivational abilities

Java GUI Developer

Responsibilities

A large number of employees at global organizations will be using our interface everyday. Our product needs to become an intuitive and integral part of their life. We need creative people to go beyond traditional interface design. You will be responsible for providing user interface designs and developing the look and feel of our products. You will assemble components and data to provide a fluid and easy-to-use interface that meets our customersā€™ requirements. Additional responsibilities include implementation of data viewing elements, evaluation and integration of third party components, and cross platform development, testing and debugging of the GUI in a large Java-based 3-tier software system.

Requirements

BS Computer Science or equivalent experience 2-5 years full product cycle experience in a commercial software development organization
Experience with GUI Frameworks such as AWT, JFC, AFC, IFC and MFC Experience with Object-Oriented concepts and practices Excellent written and verbal communication skills

Graphic Designer

Responsibilities

As a graphic designer, you will be responsible for designing compelling and exciting visual components for our user interface. You will develop icons, splash screens, button graphics, color schemes, screen graphics, and screen layouts for our product. Breathing life into a world of pixels, you are a design professional who is able to create interface components that help carry out our product vision dramatically improving a userā€™s relationship with our product. Creating meaningful, consistent navigation elements throughout a sophisticated piece of intelligent software is your charter.

Requirements

BA in art, graphic design or related field preferred Minimum of 2 years relevant design experience High level of proficiency and thorough knowledge on Adobe Illustrator, Adobe Photoshop or QuarkXPress required Strong interpersonal skills and high degree of flexibility Strong teamwork abilities and a good sense of humor are definitely a big plus

Test Engineer

Responsibilities

You are a software engineer with a passionate commitment to quality software. Applying strong development experience, you will work closely with developers to ensure that the product meets the highest standards of quality. You will be responsible for developing a test automation strategy and writing automated test scripts to perform testing for GUI and server-side modules. You will provide product development and management with timely feedback on the quality of product functionality that will enable them to find, diagnose, and track software defects early. You will design and implement functionality and scalability tests in Java and provide performance tuning and optimization recommendations.

Requirements

BS Computer Science or equivalent experience 2-5 years individual contributor experience in Software QA Ability to review source code and evaluate testability Understanding of SQA concepts and practices Excellent written and verbal communication skills Familiarity with Internet technology
Desired Experience Familiarity with Java GUI programming, Java database programming, systems programming

Culture

Those who join our company will be taking on a challenge and great responsibility, leading projects and groups, and creating truly great software. Come to South Park in the engaging South of Market Area in San Francisco and help push the next generation of great software products out the door. Join the company that embodies and leads the spirit of the area. You will not get an opportunity like this in any other environment or company. The upside potential is large. Come join the team that will win.

People

Our team is unique. We have come together from various backgrounds and challenge each other constantly. Nothing is impossible for this team. We are young, hungry, fearless, intelligent, creative, and driven to succeed. We would love to find others that can add to the team and culture we have begun to create. We need great people to build a great company.

This is a short list of values that we work with. Great Employees:

Take ownership
Embrace responsibility
Solve problems
Run with ideas
Create
Work with teams
Constantly learn
Are truly A players

Company

Our comapny is a Java start-up, assembling innovation with entrepreneurial drive and energy. Out of the fast pace spawns a unique environment and culture that you will be hard pressed to find elsewhere.

We are in existence to produce a product that helps corporations and people be more effective. We are putting a face on great technologies and grounding them in tangible business needs and rules. You will be taking advanced technology to create intelligent software that fulfills specific customer needs.

Work

The work that you perform with us is meaningful and important, with your role critical to the success of the organization and our customers. When you stride into the office in the morning, you come here to work hard, create, and constantly innovate. We are driven by a burning desire to push the envelope and do things that have never been done before.

We have the talent, intelligence, tools, and environment to achieve this, and we will persist until we can look each other in the eye and know that we have succeeded. Our culture demands it of every individual who joins the company. An amazing result of having this vision driving our culture is the result it has on our customers. Our creativity and innovation helps our customers create and innovate.

We are producing software that helps our customers go beyond their hopes and expectations of the capability of information systems. You will affect not only the customers who buy our product, but the people that buy the product of our customers works. We will have a sphere of influence that will span companies, industries, countries, and cultures. Received on Tue Mar 03 1998 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message