Re: Dev2K F50srv install ??

From: <czetie_at_nospamus.oracle.com>
Date: 1998/03/02

> On 28 Feb 1998 07:22:37 GMT, twod_at_not.valid wrote:
>
> >I'm running NT 4.0 and am trying to install F50 for the web from the Dev2K 2.0
> >CD, such that I get the F50 forms web server (f50srv32.exe) installed.
> >
> >Whatever install option I choose - typical, custom, etc - it never seems to
> >install the f50srv.exe binary !
> >
> >I copied the binary from the <CD>/forwin95/comps/frunw50 to my $ORACLE_HOME
> >/bin directory and it seems to start up OK, but this seems too much of a
> >hack.
> >
> >Anyone know what I am doing wrong ?

Violating your licence agreement? ;-)

Seriously, if you want to use the Forms web server/cartridge, you need to licence it. If you only bought licences for development, you are not entitled to install or use the server, and the installer won't install it for you.

This is the very reason we made the change; many people were inadvertently violating their license by installing a server that they hadn't licensed. And I know that nobody wants to be using software that they haven't paid for, right?

Why did we package it that way, with the server on there but not installable? Because it is a lot simpler, easier to test (and therefore faster to release) and less error-prone to have two identical CDs with only the installer modified than it would be to create very different CDs. Judging by traffic on this group I know that those are things that everybody wants, no?

It also means that we have the possibility to provide "Web Upgrades": to upgrade your CD to a Server licence, you would only need to download the installer changes, not the entire binaries and other files. An attractive idea?

[Quoted] BTW, referring to other messages on this thread, is it normal around here to call everything that isn't immediately understood "wacky" and "crippled"? I'm not here very often so I ask purely for information. I don't understand why a CD that contains all of the client/server deployment code that the purchaser used to get in previous releases is "crippled", and responding to the complaint that it was confusing to get a CD with the server on it even when you hadn't licenced it is "wacky". But maybe that's just me... Received on Mon Mar 02 1998 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message