Re: Dev2K F50srv install ??

From: Ian Jones <ijones_at_slip.net>
Date: 1998/03/01

>Umm, I don't need the webserver and neither does the Des2K for the web. The
>listener is the bit that resides on the forms server and can theoretically
>be accessed by any web server - I'm using the xitami 32 bit server for
>prototyping purposes.

[Quoted] Agreed, but the web component of Dev2k now has a deployment license that Dev2k client/server did not have (this is nothing to do with any webserver it is the dev2k forms server deployment license!). It is this change in licensing that is behind Oracle's wacky bundling of crippled products.

[Quoted] In other words the 'free runtime distribution' of Dev2k does not apply to the web. There is a runtime charge of about $200 per user.

>Odd thing is that I previously had 1.4 (or maybe 1.5) of Dev2K installed and
>the 'F45 runtime' install option included the forms server, whereas the Dev2K
>F50 runtime does not.

Absolutely! They were still working on the licensing model.

I had a similar requirement to you and Oracle would not ship me the web component until I paid for deployment licenses.

Good Luck! Received on Sun Mar 01 1998 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message