Forms: Information Messages Displayed on Canvas

From: John Oliver <John_at_yellowstone.co.uk>
Date: 1998/02/27

[Quoted] I'm trying to find a way to display a series of messages to users on a canvas, so that all messages remain visible (or scrollable) and don't need a response.

The idea is that for a process which may take some minutes to complete, such as restoring archive data, the user is kept informed of progress by messages displayed on the canvas.

I've been using a control block to display the messages, but I always have the problem that the messages are not made visible until the process ends - which defeats the purpose !

I've tried various methods all similar to this:

block1: Has a button B_load which the user presses to initiate the process

  • B_load when pressed: show_canvas('block2_canvas'); go_item('block2.B_return'); load_archive; /* The lengthy process */

block2: Is a non-DB block with repeating records, displayed on a new canvas. It

        has a button B_return which takes the user back to the original canvas on completion.

load_archive:

        writes messages to block2 records, :block2.msg item, during its processing

It seems that block2 is not fully operational until the B_load activation is complete.

The load_archive procedure must have block2 current in order to operate. There is no relevant trigger which can be used in block2 to call load_archive (?)

Any ideas, anyone ?

John. Received on Fri Feb 27 1998 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message