Re: Error: FRM-41045 - Cannot find item: Invalid ID

From: <stevec_at_zimmer.csufresno.edu>
Date: 1998/02/26

In article <34f4be77.108811957_at_news1.halcyon.com>,   jtucker_at_cotl.com wrote:
> Is anyone familiar with this error?
>
> I have created a button group that allows the user to print to screen,
> file or printer (as part of an add-on to a 3rd party application). All
> of the other portions of the program seem to be fine. I can select
> des_name, des_format, validate and all that good stuff, but the minute
> I hit any one of the radio buttons in the group, I get this error.
>
> As usual the Oracle documentation tells me almost nothing. It refers
> to a call to FIND_ALERT but I don't find any references to it in any
> other part of the application that uses the same kind of logic.
>
> I'm stumped! Any ideas?
>
> Thanks,
> Jody

Oh yes... I'm familiar with that one. One of the toughest to locate sometimes.

You probably have a GO_ITEM('BLK.ITEM') where BLK.ITEM doesn't exist. Since it is a literal between quotes, the error doesn't get flagged when you compile/generate your form, only when you run the form. Unfortunately, Oracle doesn't give you the literal string in the error message (Oh how I wish they would).

My method of finding the problem is to place multiple Message('Procedure xxx, point A') messages throughout the form in the suspected triggers or procedures, and run the form repeatedly, adding and removing the messages until I zero in on the problem.

I suppose using the Forms debugger might work, but I think my method is quicker than fussing around in debug mode.

Good luck,
Steve Cosner

http://members.aol.com/stevec5088
Downloadable Quick Access utility form: Display and update any table.