Re: Char & Varchar2

From: Jerry Gitomer <jgitomer_at_ictgroup.com>
Date: 1998/02/24

Hi Tom,

The quick and dirty answer:

        CHAR is fixed in size with a maximum length of 255 characters.

        VARCHAR2 is variable in size with a maximum length of 2000 characters, but does require an additional two bytes for the length attribute.

        So, if dealing with values that are nearly always the same length you might as well use CHARs sized to the maximum length. If there is significant variation in the length you might as well use VARCHAR2.

Regards

Jerry

--
Jerry Gitomer         	ICT Group