column prefixes

From: <suhasu_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 1998/02/20

Hi,

[Quoted] [Quoted] Are there any pros/cons to having table identifying [Quoted] prefixes to column names???

[Quoted] [Quoted] I have seen database applications where the column names in a [Quoted] table have a 2-4 letter prefix distinguishing similar column entities in different tables.
Eg.
EMPLOYEE Table

em_employee_code    (code of the employee)
em_employee_name    (name of the employee)
em_dept_code        (department code for the employee)
em_create_date      (timestamp)

DEPARTMENT Table
de_dept_code        (code for department)
de_dept_name        (name for department)
de_create_date      (timestamp)

[Quoted] Thus for a sql to obtain all employees working for departments whose name begins with 'SOC' we will have

SELECT distinct em_employee_code
FROM employee, department
where em_dept_code = de_dept_code
and de_dept_name = 'SOC%';

[Quoted] I would rather like to use this concept but need strong evidences in support of it.
Thanks in advance,
Suhas