Re: How can insert '&' in my string?

From: AMARENDRA B NETTEM <nettama_at_charlie.cns.iit.edu>
Date: 1998/02/19

Hi,
Try this

SQL> SET ESCAPE ON
SQL> INSERT INTO TEST VALUES('X\&Y');

SQL>DESC TEST

[Quoted]  Name                            Null?    Type
 ------------------------------- -------- ----
 VALUE                                    VARCHAR2(10)

SQL>SET ESCAPE ON SQL>SHOW ESCAPE
escape "\" (hex 5c)

SQL>INSERT INTO TEST VALUES('X\&Y'); 1 row created.

SQL>SELECT * FROM TEST;
VALUE

X&Y

AMARENDRA
Pete Etten wrote:

> Type 'set define off' at SQL*Plus prompt.
>
> News wrote in message <6ch1t5$n72_at_news.seed.net.tw>...
> >Hi, I got a problem, please help me!
> >I want to insert a string with '&' into my table, but Oracle always
> >recognized the &... as a variable and asked me to input a value... Here's
 my
> >trouble...
> > create table test ( name varchar2(32) );
> > insert into test values ('Butter&Bread');
> >then it asked me to input the Bread variable, :(
> >How can I tell Oracle I want & to be & but not a variable prefix? I tried
> >'\&' ,'"&' , '&&', but they didn't work and I can't get information from my
> >reference book, could someone help me about it? Please! Thanks.
> >BTW, how about single quotation mark?

AMARENDRA B NETTEM
Oracle Certified DBA (OCP)
Whittman-Hart Inc.,
311 South Wacker Drive, Suite 3500
Chicago, IL 60606.

Residence:
-----------
5039 N E River Road,
Apt. 1A
NORRIDGE, IL 60656

Ph.No. (708) 583 9870 (H)
       (312) 913 6758 (W)

 E-mail:nettama_at_charlie.cns.iit.edu,
        anettem_at_whittman-hart.com

Homepage: http://www.iit.edu/~nettama

Opinions are mine and do not necessarily reflect those
of Whittman-hart Inc.