Re: OS-command from within PL/SQL

From: <twod_at_not.valid>
Date: 1998/02/19

Robert Marz (Robert.Marz_at_dlh.de) wrote:
: >Is it possible to execute an OS (UNIX)-command from within a stored
: >procedure ?

: Oracle 8: yes. There is a new listener (I didn't tried yet)

FYI The current implementation in v8.0.4 will run the commands in a process external to the RDBMS, which is sensible due to process/memory security issues, but can be somewhat inefficient depending on the application requirements.

In forthcoming versions of v8 there will be a Java VM within the kernel itself that Oracle claims will allow such commands to be run in the same process space as the RDBMS, which should be way more efficient.

More likely to be in 8.1 than 8.0.x, but may be something you might want to bear in mind if designing a project.

IAP

--
I am using anti-spam measures, please replace 'not.valid' with 'value.net'