Re: SQL Navigator Pro v SQL Programmer v SQL Station - any opinions?

From: <dperez_at_juno_nospam.com>
Date: 1998/02/19

All of them... Presuming you're speaking of Sylvain/Faust SQL Programmer...

We are currently using both SQL Navigator Pro and SQL Station... SQL Programmer doesn't have a debugger.......

SQL Station has a nice debugger interface and the Codewright editor works pretty well. Plan Analyzer has some nice features wrt seeing how a query responds to various execution methods. I also suspect the ability to capture a set of actions in a given time period is nice too, although we've never been able to actually get it to work. Debugger limitations - can't go down multiple levels and see call tree across triggers.

SQL Navigator is quicker to load the navigation tree, and the editor is excellent - nice color scheme by default that you have to work to set up in SQL Station. Debugger is appallingly bad at this point - althoug we've been heckling Quest for a while. SQLab is the equivalent of Plan Analyzer - works very well. We've fixed a lot of queries using SQLab - it works very well. Capturing a set of operations and finding out which one is causing the problem is easy.

SQL Navigator does NOT have a way to find a database object like SQL Station does. You can't just have it retrieve function xxx...

There are a lot of differences but the flat answer is that both work pretty well, with SQL Station having (imo) the better, easier to use, debugger.

[Quoted] BTW: How much are they charging over there? Here, the SQL Navigator Pro/SQLab [Quoted] combination package is $2400... My recollection is that SQL Station is almost the same price.

Also, both companies will provide you with full featured versions to try to 30 days... or at least they did us....