Re: SQL Navigator Pro v SQL Programmer v SQL Station - any opinions?

From: Ariel Zach <zach_at_platinum.com>
Date: 1998/02/18

Steve,
A few comments:
- You need to compare apples to apples: SQL-Station includes the best tuning
and optimization component available (Plan Analyzer). This is not part of SQL Navigator PRO and accounts for 60% of the price for the whole suite. So if you need the SQL Navigator PRO counterparts in SQL-Station, ask for Coder and Debugger only--it's still more expensive but definitely worth the extra price.

  • If you are looking for something with the look and feel of Visual Studio, you'll feel much more at home with SQL-Station. It will even automatically install itself on the Visual C++ Tools menu. It's not Delphi, it's MFC and you can tell.
  • If you need the tool for team development, you will find version control, either through integration with popular CM tools or a full Code Manager component only in SQL-Station
  • You mentioned that you do need to do some tuning, so not only you get the best tuning tool with SQL-Station, it's also integrated with the development environment
  • The next release (late March) will include, mind you--at no extra cost, PL/Vision QuickStart, a robust subset of Steven Feuerstein's library of packages.

I'm obviously not the most objective person, but check it out yourself. For more information, or to download a free evaluation, visit our web site at www.platinum.com/products/appdev/suite2.htm, or contact me directly.

Good luck with your choice.
Ariel Zach
Product Manager, SQL-Station Received on Wed Feb 18 1998 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message