Calling procedures within procedures

From: <jflipse_at_spacestar.com>
Date: 1998/02/14

I am trying to call a stored procedure from within another stored procedure, but am running into some problems. I declare my parent procedure as

CREATE OR REPLACE PROCEDURE parent (in_modelid in number) AS

BEGIN         EXECUTE childproc(in_modelid);

END testcall;
/
grant execute on testcall;

Then I declare my child procedure and compile it into the database, but when I try to compile my parent, I get the following message: PLS-00103: Encountered the symbol "CHILDPROC", expecting...

Is there some way I need to declare my child procedure to be "seen" by the parent procedure? Do I need to use a package? Also, is there any way to get the completion status from CHILDPROC to control how PARENT behaves, or do I need to declare CHILDPROC as a function so that I can get a return value? Unfortunately we're running Oracle v 7.1.6.2.0, so my options may be limited.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

jlf