Re: Developer 2000 Web - Launching Excel

From: Tim Taylor <ttaylor_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: 1998/02/13

Clarence,

You're exactly right - it would try to launch Excel on the server. Running Windows applications from the Forms Java applet is one of the things that Developer for the Web can't do. The Java applet doesn't have access to your PC's local file system and cannot run programs locally on your desktop. Here are some other hints when deploying applications on the Web:

  • Limit the use of timers. If timers must be used, set the timer interval pretty high.
  • Don't use when-mouse-enter, when-mouse-leave triggers
  • Limit the amount of graphics (splash screens, iconic buttons, etc.)

Tim