Re: Visual Basic and Oracle

From: Matthias Gresz <GreMa_at_t-online.de>
Date: 1998/02/12

On Wed, 11 Feb 1998 18:12:12 -0600, rbamba_at_hotmail.com wrote: Hi,

  1. We're working with VB3 and Oracle 7.3.3.4 on NT. We're working with ODBC from Intersolv. We now intend to switch to VB5. On big difference between SQL Server and Oracle:

As with Access you can can create stored procs in SQL Server which return rows. This isn't possible with Oracle the same way! So if you've tons of these you face hard work.
The solution to do similar things with Oracle is to write sp's that return (or have out-parameters) ref_cursor. These can be transferred to the client via Oracle Objet for OLE. An OLE supplied by Oracle that communicates with the db directly without using ODBC. Pretty good performance. Oracle Objects for OLE (oo4o) provide database, dynaset object that can be used the same way as the corresponding VB-object., as well as an aquivalent to the datacontrol (OCX) which can be bound to combos, grids and so on. As I said with oo4o you can use sp's in oracle that return rows in a very easy way. (Examples are provided)

--
Regards
Matthias Gresz

>Hi
>
>At my work place, we are currently using Visual Basic (3.0, 4.0 - 16 bit,
>5.0) as the application development tool with SQL Server 6.5 as our
>database. We are thinking about moving to ORACLE 8 as our back-end. I
>have the following questions:
>
>1. Has anybody out there made a similar move already? If so, what where
>your experiences? Was it a seamless move (yeah, right!)? 2. How
>easy/efficient is it to use VB in conjuction with Oracle? Is there any
>sort of performance penalty? 3. Are there any tools which can help
>convert from VB apps to ORACLE forms?
>
>Any help is greatly appreciated
>
>Thanks
>Rupa