Re: Forms 4.5 - populating fields with data from an external text file?

From: Joe Strano <jstrano_at_dulcian.com>
Date: 1998/02/07

There are two different commands you can use to accomplish your task:

TEXT_IO
UTL_FILE UTL_FILE is part of PL/SQL v2.3 so you would have to store your procedures at the database level. TEXT_IO would be the easiest to use and should be detailed in Forms on-line help.

Joe Strano
Dulcian, Inc.

Jason Nugent wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Forgive me if this question has been asked before, but I have search
> dejanews and so on but haven't found the answer. Can Forms 4.5 read
> data from a text file (delimited or otherwise) to populate its fields?
> We would like to allow users to store partially completed records on the
> local file system (and also completed ones, for export reasons), and
> then let them "Retrieve from File..." later on and simply open the text
> file and have Forms 4.5 populate its fields by reading data from it. I
> know that SQL*Loader will allow reads from delimited files into tables,
> but what about Forms? This question is a stumbling block in our
> development process. If we have to, I suppose we could store the data
> in a temporary table (instead of a the "official" one, which will be
> Trusted Oracle on Trusted HP/UX), but the file export/read option was
> requested by the client.
>
> Thanks to all,
>
> Jason Nugent
>
> --
> ---------------------
> Jason Nugent, BSc(Hons), CWM
> ap958_at_chebucto.ns.ca "Beneath this canvas monochrome
> Certified Webmaster Wrapped in the shroud of this grey home
> Member, HTML Writer's Guild I'll paint a picture all my own
> Member, Webmaster's Guild I'll paint a picture"
>
> Live to ride,
> Ride to Live. -Anacrusis

> The Best Place for Sport on the net! - Sportscience www.sportsci.org

Joe Strano