Forms 4.5 OLE Linked Objects

From: <dan_at_chowd.com>
Date: 1998/02/05

I have a 32-bit Oracle Forms 4.5 application with an OLE2 container running on Windows 95.

When I try to insert a spreadsheet by

1.  Right clicking on the container,
2.  Selecting 'Insert Object',
3.  Checking 'Create from File',
4.  Checking 'Link',
5.  Pressing Browse to find the file
6.  Clicking OK,

the icon is displayed in my container with a dashed line around it.

If I double-click on the icon to activate the object, Excel 97 opens but the document is not opened. This happens with WordPerfect as well as Word 97.

Now when I right-click on the icon, the last menu item shows "Linked Worksheet Object". I think this is part of my problem. Under the 16-bit version of Forms running on Windows 3.1, the same procedure would insert the OLE object as a "Package Object" and that package would contain a link to my file.

My workaround for the problem has been to get the users to:

1. Right click on the OLE container
2. Select "Create New - Object Package"
3. From the Object Packager create a link to the file.
This creates the object as a "Package Object" which works fine and can be opened etc.

Does anyone have a better way of making this work?

Note 1: The "Linked Object" seems to work fine in my local environment at home, but not in the networked environment at my client's site. I'd like to get Forms to create a "Package Object" every time.

Note 2: For some types of files e.g. *.ini, the 1st procedure actually does create an "Object Package", however for MS Office products and WordPerfect, I still get the "Linked Object" which is not quite "linked".

Thank you

Dan Chow
dan_at_chowd.com

P.S. Please also reply by e-mail if possible, thanks.