Re: Inverse video with Forms 4.5

From: Marc Nicholls <marc.nicholls_at_mcmail.com>
Date: 1998/01/27

A few thoughts ...

It is certainly possible to give the user the impression that they are selecting one or more records from a multi-record block. The real question is how you capture which records have been selected, and the answer really depends on what you want to do with those records subsequently.

If the block is based on a database table then it might be suitable to have an extra column which will denote the record's state (selected or not selected). If the block is non-base table then perhaps consider using a record group to store the key to each record selected, or perhaps a PL/SQL table on the server.

Visually you could use the DISPLAY_ITEM built-in to change the visual attribute of each item in the record (reversing the foreground/background of the record items current visual attributes will give you your inverse look). This can get a bit hairy if you are also using a current record attribute since DISPLAY_ITEM will take precedence but it is not impossible to code around this too.

Rather than using a checkbox you could code up a block level When-Mouse-Doubleclick trigger, or allow the user to only navigate to each record via a non-displayed item which would mean that a When-New-Item-Instance on any of the displayed items in the block would imply a mouse click in that record. Again this all depends on what you're trying to achieve with the end result ...

I hope I've given a few useful pointers. If it would help for me to expand upon any of the above ideas then let me know.

Cheers
Marc
marc.nicholls_at_mcmail.com or marc.nicholls_at_ubs.com