Oracle7.3 & MS Access

From: Rich Tsui <tsui_at_cbmi.upmc.edu>
Date: 1998/01/24

Hello Oracle & Access gurus,

   Situation:

       I have linked MS Access 97 on NT or Win95 to Oracle 7.3 via Oracle ODBC driver

       2.5.3.1.0b and it "works" in a certain level!

   Problems:

    [Quoted]
  1. The table created by MS Access can't be saved into Oracle [Quoted] successfully, i.e, sqlplus can not get records and structure in the table. However, if you use MS Access to open the saved table, all the records are there. I wonder whether it's becuase the fields in Access are not compatible with Oracle.
  2. Aceess seems commit any change right away without waiting for user closing the table when one opens a table in Oracle. It's quite annoying since I set up a trigger which will generate a file whenever the table is modified and this trigger will fire even a single record is modified. I don't know if there is a way to control Access to commit changes after one issues a command to close the table. Or you might have any better idea?

Any suggestion is truely welcome. Thanks in advance.

Rich Tsui
University of Pittsburgh Received on Sat Jan 24 1998 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message