Re: Database design

From: jared still <jkstill_at_teleport.com>
Date: 1998/01/24

On 22 Jan 1998 18:05:05 GMT, "Mabel Trigüis" <mabelle_at_bluewin.ch> wrote:

>Sorry if you have this message twice, but I sending it from another server.
>If you have an ORACLE database:
>1) If you have a system with 150 tables with 50 sequences. Do you think it
>is a good idea to convert all the 50 sequences to only one general
>sequence?

If your database is very insert intensive, that may be a bad idea.

Maybe the tables with high insert rates could retain the use of their own sequences, while the rest of the tables could share.

>2) Do you think that putting all the integrity rules ( not possible with
>check constraints ) in a stored procedure instead of hardcoded in the form
>is a good idea for maintenance?

They should be in both places.

  1. In the database to maintain the integrity of the data.
  2. In the forms to provide immediate error feedback to the user.

It's a real drag filling in 20 fields on a form and finding out when you try to commit the whole form that some of your entries are invalid . Received on Sat Jan 24 1998 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message