Avoiding 'Record updated by other user' error

From: <agaldo_at_repsol.es>
Date: 1998/01/22

Hi everybody,

[Quoted] Does anyone know a simple way to avoid the error 'Record updated by another user. Requery to see changes' without requerying manually?

Here is our situation:

Inside a Forms4.5 form there is a button which changes a field of the current record. This change is noticed by a server-side pro*c daemon that, after some processing, changes this field again. The update made by the daemon is notified to the form via a pipe. So when the daemon finishes with the record, control is returned to the Form. After this we try to update from our Form one of the fields of this record but we get the error message and are not allowed to do so until we requery.

What we are looking for is some way of avoiding this, preferably without having to requery the database.

If we requery the database we have to requery all the records that the user initially retreived with a search criteria and we want to retreive also any records that could have been inserted afterwards and that could not satisfy the search criteria. We have not found a way to do both things so far.

Any ideas?

Thanks a lot for your time,

Antonio Galdo