Re: Sending E-mail with Forms 4.5

From: Sameer Mahajan <sameerm_at_worldnet.att.net>
Date: 1998/01/22

Hi Chad,

> 1) Is it possible to "grab" items from the embedded form (To field, From
> Field, subject, message, etc) and store them in my database? If so, any
> ideas how I do this?
U might think of making use of DDE. This way u can pass data in both the directions. Best place to start with would be Advance Techinques Manual for 4.5 and 4.5 demo.
Usiing DDE u could store the values in the database.

> 2) I know that not all of the users who will use my application will be
> using Groupwise. Any ideas on how I can tailor my form so that no matter
> what e-mail package someone is using, I can allow them to send mail AND
> grab the fields and put them in the database?
Since the mail application is not consistent through out the organization or ur client sites.

1a)I would rather build a custom table and have all the users registered under that and also have what mail they use.

1b)Or the other way round and entry in the .ini file about the mail on the client m/c. Read that through windows dll (example is in 4.5 demo).

2)The in the serve from the table have the command to execute that mail from the command line (dos prompt). Call this from the form as a host command and send the mail.

This way its transaparent plus I can capture all the data I want to store in database.

HTH Sameer Mahajan
sameermj_at_usa.net

Chad Edwards <cedwards_at_infinet.com> wrote in article <6a5ojs$s4b_at_news1.infinet.com>...
> I am working on an application which will allow me to send e-mail with
> Groupwise. I'm able to use Vdesign from Groupwise SDK to create a custom
> mail form. I can then embed this form into an oracle form using OLE.
> Then, of course, when I double click the icon, it launches Groupwise and
> I can send a mail message. Really nice!
>
> I do have a couple of questions though.
>
> 1) Is it possible to "grab" items from the embedded form (To field, From
> Field, subject, message, etc) and store them in my database? If so, any
> ideas how I do this?
>
> 2) I know that not all of the users who will use my application will be
> using Groupwise. Any ideas on how I can tailor my form so that no matter
> what e-mail package someone is using, I can allow them to send mail AND
> grab the fields and put them in the database?
>
> Thanks!
>
> Chad
>
> --

__
> http://www.infinet.com/~cedwards
>
> Official home of RMBL! http://rmbl.ml.org
> E-mail dferry_at_flash.net to be put on the waiting list.
> Owner/GM/Manager of the Columbus Capitals

___