SQLLOAD long raw data type

From: <cpham_at_resumix.com>
Date: 1998/01/20

Hi,

I have a bunch of TIFF files that I would like to put them into an import file and use direct SQLLOAD for loading.

  1. How do I stack these TIFF files into a big file for importing?

Currently I'm using this technique below to load images into NT/SQL Server. I have a C program that uses "fread" function to read each byte from a TIFF image file into a buffer then "fwrite" function to write that buffer into the import file. At the end of each image in the import file, I have the delimiter as "|||||\n" (that is 5 pipe symbols and new line) to signal the end of one image. This method works for NT/SQL Server because its load utility (bcp) allows the delimiter length longer than 1 char. However, Oracle only allows the delimiter length to be 1 char long. How should I solve this problem in Oracle? What should the delimiter be?

2) Assume that #1 is answered, what should the control file look like?

This is the sample format file for load the images into NT/SQL Server binary_docs.fmt

1	SQLCHAR		0	10	"|"             1	document_id
2	SQLCHAR		0	3	"|"	        2	page_num
3	SQLCHAR		0	12	"|"	        3	file_spec
4	SQLIMAGE	0	65000	"|||||\n"	4	contents

This is a sample data file.
binary_docs.IMP

1 | 1 | image_1 | bytes of image_1 |||||\n
2 | 1 | image_2 | bytes of image_2 |||||\n
3 | 1 | image_3 | bytes of image_3 |||||\n
etc.

Thanks,
Chris Pham