Checking for Overlaping Date Range

From: <Thenardier_at_POBoxes.com>
Date: 1998/01/17

Hi All,

[Quoted] [Quoted] In my program, the users need to enter two dates which represent the vacation range, which, supposedly, not to overlap with other vacation ranges. If there is vacations in the databases, I can check the newly input data against them. However, if there is not, i have to check the ranges record by record before i commit them. Then the problem comes:-

  1. I can't use Post-Record, When-Validate, Post-Text-Item types of triggers cos i need to loop thru the records to check (it involves GO_RECORD(#);
  2. I can't check in Key-Commit trigger before the command COMMIT cos i'll use RAISE FORM_TRIGGER_FAILURE to stop the program when there is overlapping date range. The reason is RAISing such failure activates a dialog box which ask me whether i want to save the changes. It gives me "Yes, No, and Cancel" options. So, the users can save those overlapping dates...
  3. I can't use PL/SQL table which acts as an array in Form. Because my version PL/SQL doesn't support such useful function.

Then what should i do? Pls rescue me! :P Thanks in advance!!!

Thenard