Re: "_disable_logging" parameter

From: Thomas Kyte <tkyte_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: 1998/01/15

On Thu, 15 Jan 1998 09:38:10 +0800, Connor McDonald <mcdonald.connor.cs_at_bhp.com.au> wrote:

>On our (overloaded, underconfigured) development server I have been
>toying with the idea of enabling the "_disable_logging" parameter to
>lessen the load on the machine.
>
>The databases on this machine are only backed up once per week anyway
>(and are running in noarchivelog mode obviously).
>
>Does anyone have any info on the possible consequences of this ? I know
>you can't perform database recovery but we don't do that anyway.
>However, what I am interested in is if the database goes down/up to
>(say) power failure. Normally this poses no problems to the database -
>but with "_disable_logging" enabled will this necessitate recovery from
>a cold backup ???

Yes, if the _disable_logging parameter is set, not only can you not perform a database recovery but an instance recovery from a failure such as a power failure or shutdown abort would be fatal. You'll never get that database open again.

don't do it, you'll loose everything.

>Cheers

Thomas Kyte
tkyte_at_us.oracle.com
Oracle Government
Bethesda MD

Anti-Anti Spam Msg: if you want an answer emailed to you, you have to make it easy to get email to you. Any bounced email will be treated the same way i treat SPAM-- I delete it. Received on Thu Jan 15 1998 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message