Re: Help- trying to connect via internet to Orcl8

From: Jurij Modic <jurij.modic_at_mf.sigov.mail.si>
Date: 1998/01/06

On Mon, 5 Jan 1998 09:51:50 -0500, "Michael Will de Laforcade" <mwill_at_dris.com> wrote:

>Help!!
>
>we are trying to connect to an Oracle 8 server via the internet, but to no
>avial.
>
>We can ping the remote server, but when we try connecting with Sql plus 8.0
>we get:
>
>ERROR:
>ORA-12500: TNS:listener failed to start a dedicated server process
>
>Can anyone who has done this help me please.
>
> Michael.

I belive your db server runs UNIX - you have problem with OS limit of opened processes per user. Check how many processes are runing under user "oracle" (mostly deamon processes, i belive) and check your OS limit seting - if you reached the limit you even won't be able to login to your OS with this user acount, so it has nothing to do with Oracle stuff. Simply increase your proper UNIX seting.

Regards,

Jurij Modic                             Republic of Slovenia
jurij.modic_at_mf.sigov.mail.si		Ministry of Finance
The above opinions are mine and do not represent any official standpoints of my employer Received on Tue Jan 06 1998 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message