Re: comments of ProC/C++ vs. OCI

From: Steve Haynes <steve_at_rwx777.demon.co.uk>
Date: 1998/01/06

In article <01bd1ad8$d34b0890$3d0000c3_at_meij>, "Jian R. Mei" <meij_at_rnc.net> writes
>Hi there,
>I am working on Oracle 8.03 with C/C++. I am new for ProC/C++ and OCI.
>Could anybody please give me some comments of Proc vs. OCI.
>
>Thanks.

Well, using the precomplier is easier for most programming tasks and you won't see much (if any) performance benefit from OCI over PRO*C/C++. Note that OCI had a major revamp moving from O7 to O8 - although O8 does still support the O7 calls but you will not be able to get some of the O8 performance benefits. However, some features are only available in OCI, if you need an array of cursors for example. Note that it also is possible to mix and match PRO*C and OCI modules using a common db connection. This is sometimes useful.
If you are a newbie, I would stick to PRO*C to start with. Steve

--
"There are few problems which a 45 and a shovel won't fix..."