Re: How can we make distinct of one particular column!

From: Dave Macpherson <dave_at_fifthd.ca>
Date: 1998/01/06

On Mon, 05 Jan 1998 11:29:24 +0100, Pedro Nuno Gomes Pimenta <p.pimenta_at_ifb.pt> wrote:

> Happy new year everybody!
>
> If i have a select statement like this:
>
> SELECT column1, column2,column3 FROM table......
>
> How can i retrieve the query eliminating the repetitions of column2.
>The distinct function eliminates the repetitions of all columns.
>
> Thanks!
> Pedro

I don't see how this would be possible. The SELECT returns a row FOR EACH row in the table. If column2 had only 2 distinct values, then to do what you want you could ONLY return 2 rows. Distinct has to apply to all columns, otherwise it just doesn't make sense. Received on Tue Jan 06 1998 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message