Re: JDBC Thin Driver

From: Robert Clevenger <robc_at_magicnet.net>
Date: 1998/01/06

Guy Cohen wrote in message <34B1102A.DC78478B_at_netvision.net.il>...
>Hi All !
>
>I have a strange problem : I just can't find explanations or samples or any
 docs
>about "JDBC Thin", I mean beyond the regular hype. I need to WORK with this
>type on JDBC driver ASAP. Can you explain to me how do I work with the
>"JDBC Thin" ? What should I do in the Database Server side ? What should

Hmm.. .JDBC Thin is just a REGULAR implementation of the JDBC API that happens to be written in ALL JAVA. So, any examples of JDBC in applets would work. The specific information relating to Oracle connections can be found in the JDBC.HTML file located in the DOCS subdirectory of where you installed the JDBC drivers that your downloaded from Oracle. ALSO, the Oracle
JDBC drivers include example programs. If your jdbc drivers do NOT have the HTML file (release notes, and errata) then download drivers again from Oracle's
web site (www.oracle.com) and follow the links to download then free software.

For more information on JDBC as an API, I'd suggest 1) go to http://java.sun.com/jdbc
2) get a book on JDBC (i.e. Teach yourself JDBC in 21 days, etc...)

>I do in the Applet/Application side ?

Applets have security restrictions on the host that then can connect to unless
you sign your applet, for information on this, reference.

  1. the JDBC.HTML file in the JDBC driver kit from Oracle (www.oracle.com)
  2. http://developer.netscape.com (for information on signed applets and general browser security restrictions using Netscape Navigator)
  3. http://www.microsoft.com/java or /ie for the same information as above relating to Internet Explorer 3.x and 4.x

Must I work with Oracle's web server ?

No, any web browser would work (JDBC is client side only when ran through an applet)

>I would be very grateful for any information you can give !!!!!
> Thanks, Guy

This should be enough to make you dangerous.

Take Care,

Robert Clevenger Received on Tue Jan 06 1998 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message