Re: Developer/2000 v2.0 on Oracle 7.3.3 or 8.0.3 best?

From: Brian Price <bprice2000_at_sprintmail.com>
Date: 1998/01/02

Hi,

I am using Forms 5.0 against Personal Oracle8 8.0.3, and have used Forms 5.0 against Oracle7 7.3.2 and 7.3.3 on UNIX and it works just great. There is a trick when using forms 5.0 against a local 8.0.3+ database: you have to set your LOCAL variable in the registry to "Beq-local.world" to use the bequeath driver, or you may use the "Tcp-loopback.world " is you start the tns listener and connect through the TCP/IP protocol. In either case, you can either set the LOCAL registry variable or use the database connect string.

I have not experience lengthly compilation times as John has mentioned, but my forms have not been very large in size either. But both version or oracle work just fine.

Remember when using Dev/2000 R2.0 against Oracle8, you cannot use some of the new features (sub tables, user defined datatypes, varrays, etc..) directly in forms. You should be able to use some of these features if a block is based on transactional triggers or stored procedures. I have used Partitioned Tables with success with Dev/2000 R2.0.

Good luck

Brian