Re: What's the Best Server to Run an ORACLE Database???????

From: Jim Smith <james-detg.smith_at_ubs.com>
Date: 1997/12/23

Luis Moreno Campos wrote:

> I know this might sound a bit vague, but suddenly I'm stuck with this
> question that is keeping me from going forward. By now I just know that I
> have two scenarios: one in which the database is not going to have more than
> 10 or 20 users, and another one where the database will have more than 50
> maybe 100 users. I need to choose, before anything a Server for each of
> these scenarios, knowing that:
> - The Operating System should be anykind ofUnix (even SCO) in both
> scenarios;
> - The second scenario Server might me ready for more than one app, and even
> Web apps;
> - In The second scenario Server the budget goes as far as US$10,000

I think a 100 user Oracle licence will cost you more than US$10,000! With that kind of budget you are probably restricted to Intel based hardware, the cheapest Sun machine will cost from 5,000 and I doubt that any other "Unix vendor" will be any cheaper. Having said that, a decent pentium system should support up to a 100 users, depending on the application of course. Received on Tue Dec 23 1997 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message