Re: Developer 2000: missing DLL

From: <czetie_at_nospamus.oracle.com>
Date: 1997/12/19

HTS wrote:

> For some reason the dll(s) and other files are not in the directory structure
> for the NT install. It is present in the Win95 directories, so you can copy
> it from the CD, but you'll need to update the registry as well. In typical
> fashion Oracle has produced "Yet another great install moment (tm)".
>
> Haakon

Normally I just ignore this kind of remark, but I couldn't let this one go. The reason the files are not in the NT structure is because they are identical in NT and Win95. So instead of duplicating the common files (which would require a CD around 900Mb in size... think about that for a moment...), the NT directory contains only the small number of files that are different. The installer takes care of knowing where to copy the files from.

As regards the original question, why didn't the NLSRTL33 file get installed, I can think of three possibilities: 1) An error occurred that prevented copying, but the person installing chose to ignore it and continue

2) The customer had a later or Beta software installed on the same machine, causing the installer to think it didn't need NLSRTL33. You should always explicitly deinstall Beta software, not install over the top of it

3) There is a problem in the installation script that omits this file. Personally I think that this is extremely unlikely since I have heard of no other instance of this, (including the test that I did personally before releasing the CD to manufacturing), and believe me if there were a problem like this that affected every single NT customer, I would have heard about it in my email and voicemail long ago.

>In typical
> fashion Oracle has produced "Yet another great install moment (tm)".

Let's save the gratuitous abuse and ill manners for situations that genuinely deserve them, and remain polite when there is clearly substantial doubt as to the cause of the problem, eh? Received on Fri Dec 19 1997 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message