Discoverer on a rule based instance

From: Tim Witort <trwNOSPAM_at_NOSPAMmedicalert.org>
Date: 1997/12/17

[Quoted] We have an OLTP 7.2 database about 30 GB in size. It is set up in rule-based optimization to accommodate the meticulously tuned SQL in our workstation front end and our reports.

Now we are going to start using Discoverer 3.0 against this database and I suspect that Discoverer really wants any database it is working against to be in cost-based optimization so that it can just send its SQL statements to the RDBMS and not worry about how they are formatted.

So, has anyone used Discoverer on an RDBMS in rule based mode?

If performance from Discoverer is going to be awful in rule based mode, I'm not sure it's worth trying to move the database into cost based mode and incur possible problems with existing systems and the overhead of doing periodic ANALYZEs on the tables and indexes. And there is no way for us to go and put zillions of hints into our existing SQL statements in our applications and reports to keep them rule based either.

Any insights out there?

thanks,
-- TRW

| Tim Witort || He is not silent. He is not |
| trwATmedicalertDOTorg || whispering. We are not quiet |
| || we are not listening. |
| Pin: TZ, only one :^( || - Out of the Grey |