EXECUTE HOST COMMAND FROM ORACLE7 SERVER-SIDE PL/SQL ENGINE

From: Paul Pham <phamp_at_argprod.elan.af.mil>
Date: 1997/12/16

[Quoted] hello everyone,

Can we execute a host system command from Oracle7 server-side PL/SQL ?? I know we can do it in SQLFORMS, SQLPLUS or in C via the standard library.

 for exmaple in SQLFORM   --->  HOST(command name)
                SQLPLUS   --->  SQLPLUS> HOST command name
                C         --->   system(command name)
 in UNIX it may look like :
                SQLFORM   --->  HOST(ls)
                SQLPLUS   --->  SQLPLUS> HOST(ls)
                C         --->  system(ls)
where ls is directory command.

I need to write a server-side database trigger that fire in response to "INSERT" events. The trigger need to call host computer to execute the LOCAL
SYSTEM HOST COMMAND. our Oracle server is 7. I looked in to Oracle server-side built-in packages.
Can not find a way to call host command from Oracle-Supplied stored procedure
or function that do just that.

is there a patch from Oracle or third-party product or even in Oracle7 that
allow to do that. Please reply ASAP to:

        phamp_at_argprod.elan.af.mil

Thanks very much . Received on Tue Dec 16 1997 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message