Re: Can anyone explain the NLS_LANG key to me?

From: Vagelis Rados <Vrados_at_Singular.gr>
Date: 1997/12/15

Oracle7 Server National Language Support (NLS) allows users to interact with
the database in their native language. It also allows applications to run
in different language environments.
NLS provides :
 support for processing data in the various character encoding   schemes used by computer hardware
– both single byte and multibyte character encoding schemes – client and server can use different character encoding   schemes in client/server environments, with transparent   conversion of data between them
 language dependent operation of end user applications – Oracle7 Server messages displayed in multiple languages – dates and numbers formatted using language and territory conventions – character data sorted according to alphabetic conventions – language dependent operation specifiable for each session

The following NLS parameters can be initialization parameters, environment variables, and ALTER SESSION parameters:

 NLS_CALENDAR
 NLS_CURRENCY
 NLS_DATE_FORMAT
 NLS_DATE_LANGUAGE
 NLS_ISO_CURENCY
 NLS_NUMERIC_CHARACTERS
 NLS_SORT

The following NLS parameters can only be set as environment variables(i.e. Registry params):

 NLS_CREDIT
 NLS_DEBIT
 NLS_DISPLAY
 NLS_LANG
 NLS_LIST_SEPARATOR
 NLS_MONETARY_CHARACTERS

For example for GREECE (where I live) the NLS_LANG parameter should be:
NLS_LANG = GREEK_GREECE.EL8ISO8859P7 or
NLS_LANG = GREEK_GREECE.EL8MSWIN1253
Also for GREECE the decimal point is a commma (,) and the thousands separator is the dot (.)
I can tell it to the db or/and the client machine by setting the NLS_NUMERIC_CHARACTERS = ,.
The date format also differs in Greece than the American one. It's NLS_DATE_FORMAT=DD/MM/YYYY As you can understnad, either the Db and the Client use a NLS_LANG parameter.
The db parameter, tells the server in which language to store/sort e.t.c the data and
the client parameter is responsable for presenting them. You can examine yours DB NLS parameters within the server manager by issuing the command
show parameters NLS.

I hope I've helped.

Regards,

mail to : vrados_at_singular.gr