Forms 4.5 windows, canvases and a Freebie!

From: Brian Membrey <horsemth_at_mel.switch.net.au>
Date: 1997/12/07

I'm in the middle of a project developing a number of visual objects for generic use with Forms4.5.

I initially started with a some stand-alone objects (specifically a calendar, progress bar and a calculator) which use their own canvas and a window which matches the size of the canvas.

These work fine when I drop them into other forms - the calendar appears with the window title and without impacting underlying windows.

But on other items, I don't want the title bar (specifically a W95 style dropdown menu which can be attached to a button). But it seems that at runtime, Forms always displays whatever window is associated with the stacked view for the menu and the underlying screen is overwritten by the associated window

I obviously don't want to nominate a specific window in this case as the popup menu could be attached to any canvas and hence any window.

Again I could assign a specific window sized to the canvas size (which is dynamically sized according to the number of menu items required) but I still get the title bar which is hardly compatible with the objective of emulating W95 dropdowm menus!!

Q.1 Is there anyway to display a window without the title bar?

Q.2 Is there any way of displaying a stacked canvas without the associated window?

Q.3 Given all reusable objects I've seen to date (only a handful) all relate to a specific window, I am trying something that simply can't be encapsulated in this way???

FREE copy of everything I have to date if anyone can solve this paradox!!       Received on Sun Dec 07 1997 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message