Re: Forms 4.5 navigating through multiple windows

From: Markus Bock <mb_at_x12.NIC.DTAG.DE>
Date: 1997/12/03

In article <347D7E0D.236D_at_nctrf.nf.ca>,

        Sushama Belkhode <sbelk_at_nctrf.nf.ca> writes:
> I want to enable the user to hit a button on a form, go to another
> window, make and save changes and then come back to the first window
> where entries have been made but not saved. However, right now when the
> user returns to the first window all the fields are cleared.
>
> I know of one way - by saving all the data in global variables, but this
> seems really cumbersome as there are about 15 fields on this form. There
> must be a simple way of opening two windows without losing information
> on the first.

You can use (i.e. inside a when-button-pressed trigger) the OPEN_FORM procedure to invoke a independet form.

'OPEN_FORM('second_form.fmx',ACTIVATE,SESSION);'

If you display data in your first form that you have changed in your second form (assume there is a reference, relationship between the two tables behind), don't forget to 'requery' (i.e. inside a when-window-aktivated trigger) this items when the focus comes back to your first form.

Chapter 5 of the Forms 4.5 advanced
techniques manual explains how to use multiple form modules in a single application.
Section 'Opening Forms in Different Database Sessions' gives you important information related to your question.

Have a nice day
Markus Received on Wed Dec 03 1997 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message