Re: Shared oracle home

From: <ryba_at_spar.co.at>
Date: 1997/12/01

The solution suggested by David works only partially: whenever I try to install "GUI Common Ltd. Production Files 2.5" using "orainst.exe /shared" I receive the message: "Notification: GUI25.ins(64): unbound variable 'shrdll' ". BTW the guides and manuals are quite poor. I found another workaround: I install a 'standalone client' to an NFS-Drive, copy the oraclefo.grp and add the [Oracle]-Section to the WIN.INI of additional clients. No path-variable needed - as long as I don't use ODBC, of course. BUT : anybody knows about disadvantages and reliability of this workaround ???

Best,
Robert

I received an answer to my mail account from Rich:

This is not a problem. Mount on one client your UNIX NFS server. Then load the Oracle client to the drive on the server. If possible get a listing of what is currently on the system for comparison later. Once loaded, the difference will be the existence of an oracle.ini file and possibly some local dll's (not really sure, but I have seen some local loading for ODBC support). The oracle.ini will have the path information that you will want to modify to reflect your standard server drive and path for the shared Oracle_Home. I have placed the oracle.ini on the server drive for commonality for all PC's (takes some functionality away but it is easier to maintain upgrades). Change your path to include the new shared Oracle_home and reflect any file changes in your load comparison. That should be it!!!

Rich.