Re: Forms45 debugger crashes with menus?

From: Alex Heney <a.j.heney_at_btNOinterSPAMnet.com>
Date: 1997/12/01

On Sun, 30 Nov 1997 23:32:15 GMT, pperucci_at_mindspring.com (Phil Perucci) wrote:

>Hi,
>
>Has anyone seen any "funny" behavior of the Forms45 debugger
>when debugging procedures in menu modules? I have a PL/SQL
>procedure which works fine if 1) store it in the Forms module and
>2) start it from a button. The debugger is happy, and I can set
>breakpoints anywhere I want. Works great!
>
>BUT, when I replace the "DEFAULT" menu, with my own menu,
>and 1) place the PL/SQL procedure in the menu module and
>2) start the procedure from a menu option, the PL/SQL
>interpreter crashes crashes!
>
>I can run the form/menu fine without the debugger. Works
>great. But running the forms in "debug" mode causes the
>PL/SQL interpreter to crash.
>
>Has anyone seen this, or, can anyone elaborate on any issues
>that arise when 1) PL/SQL procedures are stored in a menu
>module and 2) the PL/SQL procedures stored in the menu
>module are run from a menu option. I tried moving the PL/SQL
>program to a library, but the PL/SQL interpreter still crashed
>in debug mode. I did not see a way for a menu option to
>reference/run my procedure if I stored it in the form (and don't
>know if that would fix the problem anyway).

I have found that there is a great tendency for the debugger to crash whenever attempting to move from one module to another, even if both are compiled with the debug option.

It would appear that this includes menu modules. :-(

There is a way to get the menu module to reference the module stored in the form.

What you do is to create a user-named trigger in the form, and then call that from the menu module (using Execute_Trigger built-in). That user-named trigger then calls the procedure in question. If there is a choice of procedures, then within the menu procedure which calls the trigger, you set a global variable to determine which procedure to call.

--

Alex Heney,  Global Villager

Remove NO and SPAM from the above address if replying by email.